Therapy allows couples who are having difficulty relating to have the space and time to work through their problems and conflicts with the help of a professional. In the safe context of therapy, you can openly discuss issues relating to painful feelings.
Therapy gives couples the opportunity to discuss and resolve problems that can cause conflict or unhappiness in relationships. These could include:
- poor communication
- uncertainty about commitment
- change – life transitions
- sexual difficulties
- starting a family
- separation and divorce
- fertility issues
Cognitive Behavioural Couples Therapy is a structured and proactive approach. Some of the interventions used in this approach are as follows:
- Communication of thoughts, feelings and beliefs
- Working on strengthening communication
- Hearing each other effectively
- Effective problem solving
- Looking at behaviours in the relationship and how these behaviours impact the relationship
- Moving towards healthy behaviours and healthy communication
- Assigning tasks in-between the sessions to help you achieve change
Psychodynamic Approach is a less structured approach but it focuses more on relational/dynamics to increase awareness which can be extremely beneficial to many couples. Early experiences and attachments will be explored to further increase insight into the dynamics of the couple relationship.
What to expect from couples therapy?
- The type of therapy will be determined by the Psychologist at the assessment. A treatment plan and number of sessions will be discussed with the couple following the assessment.
- The Psychologist will give you work to do in-between the sessions
- Being open about the difficulties you have with each other and having motivation to make changes will contribute towards positive changes
- Appointments are 50 minutes in length.
- Exploring painful subjects in couple’s therapy can be challenging for couples but it can be very helpful for the couple in the long term and will help in understanding relational dynamics and where things might be stuck.
- For more information and to book an appointment, please contact the practice.
How to book an appointment
If you would like more information or to book an appointment for couples therapy, please get in touch with us at The Consulting Clinic by any of the below ways: